Carlos brings a wealth of knowledge to MacLean Law. His varied experience and his dedication to law across Canada, the USA and Latin America makes him a sought out lawyer for family and criminal law issues.
From the beginning of his legal career Carlos has engaged in teaching law and ensuring best practices. He mentored students and participated in a program in Latin America as a speaker and trainer for the American Bar Association’s program of teaching oral trial techniques and was mentored through the Inns of Court program.
Recently, he was was a supervisor and a lawyer at Legal Services Society of BC and was responsible for audit and quality standards investigations of family and criminal roster counsel including enforcement of lawyer compliance policy.
Carlos has also worked with an international legal team involved in litigating investor-state arbitrations before international tribunals, adjudicating arbitrations under international investment treaties under the auspices of the World Bank (ICSID). He investigated claims and worked directly in Mexico with client of record (Secretaria de
When not spanning the North and South American continents, Carlos loves the outdoors and you’ll find him exploring the wilds of BC by cycling, sailing, or scuba diving.
- 2003 Master of Laws (LL.M.) International Trade Law, University of Arizona.
- 1992 Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia.
Winner of Michael E. Moran Memorial Prize for highest score in first-year Criminal Law.
Rankings: First year – top 18%. Second year – top 23%.
- 1989 Faculty of Arts, English (Honors). University of British Columbia,
- 1993 Law Society of British Columbia, Lawyer (No. 107116)
- 2004 State Bar of California, Active Attorney (No. 229872)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- 2016 Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- Present, Ad Hoc Senior Consultant to international legal team, ISDS Law/J. C. Mowatt Law Corp.
- Present – Trainer/Instructor, ABA Rule of Law Initiative
- 2012-2016 Lawyer, Audit & Investigation Department – Legal Services Society of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- 2007-2012 Independent Lawyer, Vancouver, BC
- 2005-2006 Associate Attorney, Brown & Associates, Sacramento, CA
- 1999-2004 Associate Lawyer, Thomas & Partners, Vancouver, BC Associate
- 1994-1998 Barrister & Solicitor, Vancouver, BC
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Pro Bono Attorney, Northwest Immigrants Rights Project
- Instructor, American Bar Association, Rule of Law Initiative
- Carlos G. Garcia, All the Other Dirty Little Secrets: Investment Treaties, Latin America, and the Necessary Evil of Investor-State Arbitration, 16 Fla. J. Int’l L. 301(2004).
- Spanish – fluent (written and spoken)
- French – intermediate reading/ basic spoken and written