James Macdonnell began his critical legal training as an articled student here at MacLean Law, where he was mentored by Lorne MacLean, QC.
After moving to Kelowna, James joined Rush Ihas Hardwick to pursue a more diverse practice that included working with, amongst others, First Nations – Westbank Indian Band, Coldwater, Squamish, Musqueam, and Lower Nicola Indian Band. His time at Rush Ihas Hardwick inspired James to venture into his own law practice. He helped a wide range of individuals and companies and has appeared at all levels of the Alberta courts including Provincial and Queen’s Bench inclusively. James’ diverse legal practice flourished and grew from four files to over 200 active files. His corporate clients appreciated his concierge-style service where he stepped into their boardrooms thereby allowing his clients to remain focused on business without the disruption of travelling to a law office.
James Macdonnell’s most recent return to litigation counsel was as senior defense counsel for the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. While at ICBC he was given highly demanding and complex cases requiring critical analysis, preparation of pleadings, discoveries, and trial materials.
James is thrilled to be back with MacLean Law and will focus his efforts on family law, property disputes and any other complex and wide-ranging legal matters affecting MacLean Law’s diverse clientele.
When he’s not practicing law, James Macdonnell enjoys soccer, rugby, skiing and fly fishing and most importantly spending time with his close family and friends.
PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
Pacific Business & Law Institute – Grey Divorce and Planning for the Future – High Family Property Awards and High Net Worth Spousal Support
- 2006: Justice Institute of BC: Provincial Government Business Plan Certificate
- 2006: Justice Institute of BC: CORNET/CPIC/Prov. BC CORRECTIONS Cert.
- 2005: NCA Certificate of Qualification
- 2001-2004: LLB with Honours: Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
- 1996-1999: B.A. University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC)
- 1992-1996: B.A. University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC)
- Current: Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver BC
- 2019: Senior Claims Defence Counsel, Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- 2011-2017: Sole Practitioner, Macdonnell Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2011: Associate Litigation Counsel, Rush Ihas Hardwick LLP, Kelowna, BC
- 2009-2011: Articled Student/Associate, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2007-2009: Legal Researcher and Analyst, Self Employed, Vancouver, BC
- 2006-2007: Senior Legal Analyst and Branch Advocate, Provincial Government of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Domcor Health Safety & Security Incorporated v Teamsters Local Union No. 213, 2020 BCLRB 68
- A.P. v. A.F., 2020 BCSC 746
- B.T. v W.Z.D, 2018 BCSC 2157
- R.W. v. P.C., 2017 BCSC 998
- Hefter v. Hefter, 2016 BCSC 1504
- Paquette v. Amaruk Wilderness and another (No. 4), 2016 BCHRT 35
- Stallan v. Palleson, 2015 BCSC 1463
- R.W. v. P.C., 2015 BCSC 748
- A.L.S. v. G.J.S. 2012 BCPC 0216
professional community2012-Present: Shareholder/Board of Directors/SPFX Technician, Direct Hit Special Effects/Direct Hit Rapid Reload. Role includes preparing special effects budgets and strategies for television and movies
James, Fraser and their team are the best in Vancouver. They are tenacious and responsive. They are no-nonsense, and nobody will fight harder for their clients than these two. If you want lawyers who fight to keep your rights protected, these are the people to call.