Hannah’s approach to family law includes a particular passion for dispute resolution outside of court. While in law school, Hannah completed the Mediation Intensive Program where she mediated Toronto Housing and Small Claims court disputes with St. Stephen’s Community Mediation Clinic. As part of Pro Bono Students Canada’s Family Law Project, Hannah assisted self-represented litigants in filling out court forms and drafting affidavits at the busiest family courthouse in Canada. Hannah’s intake and domestic violence screening work at the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic provided much needed legal assistance to women who have experienced violence.
Hannah brings a special knowledge of innovation and access to justice to law, which she gained by working for the Winkler Institute for Dispute Resolution as a Research Fellow throughout law school. Special areas of interest for Hannah include domestic violence and child protection.
Currently, Hannah volunteers with the Bloom Group providing hospice care at May’s Place in the Downtown Eastside.
- 2016 Juris Doctor, Osgoode Hall Law School, ON
- 2011 Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI
- Miller Thompson LLP National Entrance Award in Law
- John Alexander Cochran Bursary
- The Art Vertlieb, Q.C. Award
- Class of 1993 Bursary
- Calvin Faculty Honors Scholarship
- Doris Tuinstra Cross Cultural Scholarship
- 2017 – Present – MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2016 Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic, Toronto, ON
- 2014 – 2016 Winkler Institute for Dispute Resolution, Toronto, ON
- 2015 Ministry of Community and Social Services, Family Responsibility Office, Toronto, ON
- 2015 Native Child and Family Services (4 wks); Lance Carey Talbot (4 wks)
- 2014 Pro Bono Students Canada (Family Law Project), Toronto, ON
- 2014 – 2015 St. Stephen’s Community Mediation Clinic, Toronto, ON
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- 2015 – Present – West Coast LEAF, Legal Research Volunteer
- 2017 – Present – The Bloom Group, Hospice Volunteer
- 2015 – 2016 Family Law Project, Pro Bono Students Canada Volunteer
- 2015 – 2016 Student Caucus of Faculty Council, Communications Director
- 2015 Anishinaabe Law Camp (Neyaashiinigmiing), Camp Participant
- 2014 – 2015 Student Caucus of Faculty Council, Second Year Representative
- 2014 2014 Frozen Osgoode Open Moot, Mooting competitor
- 2014 Community Legal Aid Services Program (CLASP), Intake Volunteer
- “Law and Happiness: Finding Balance in Law School” (17 February 2015), online: The Winkler Institute for Dispute Resolution: www.winklerinstitute.ca.
- “Osgoode’s New Law Course Prepares Students for the Future of Law” (10 February 2015), online: The Winkler Institute for Dispute Resolution: www.winklerinstitute.ca
- “Access to Justice Commissions: Learning to Work Collaboratively on Difficult Justice Problems” (7 August 2014), online: SLAW: www.slaw.ca.
- “The Kids are NOT Alright: Access to Justice for Children” (29 May 2014), online: Canadian Forum on Civil Justice: www.cfcj-fcjc.org.