Jas obtained his law degree from the University of Victoria’s Faculty of Law. At law school, he was the Executive Director of the Legal Information Clinic — an organization providing free legal services to the local community. He also gained practical experience in a variety of practice areas (including family law) while working at the Law Centre under the guidance of Glenn Gallins, QC.
Jas articled with a small firm in Surrey, BC, assisting clients with real estate and business transactions. He has appeared in Remand Court, the Provincial Court of British Columbia, the Tax Court of Canada, and in British Columbia Supreme Court Chambers. He is developing a reputation for his work in tax litigation with two recent successful trials at the Tax Court of Canada.
In his spare time, Jas volunteers as a mentor with the UBC Arts Tri-Mentoring Program, and is on the mentorship committee with the South Asian Bar Association of BC.
Prior to starting his legal career, Jas worked in the banking and finance sector with two major Canadian financial institutions. Jas’s experience in banking and business combined with his legal acumen is beneficial to all families going through divorce, and especially those who have a family business.
- 2014 – J.D. – University of Victoria, Victoria, BC
- 2009 – B.A. – University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- 2016 British Columbia Bar
- 2016, 2017 Laird & Company, Pitt Meadows, BC
- 2016 A.S. Mattoo and Associates, Surrey, BC
- 2013 – 2014 The Law Centre, Victoria, BC
- 2013 – 2015 Customer Service Representative and Manager, TD Canada Trust, Victoria/Vancouver, BC
- 2010 – 2012 Financial Services Representative, CIBC, Vancouver/Victoria, BC
RECENT COURT SETTLEMENTS
- Leaf v Her Majesty the Queen
- Smith v Her Majesty the Queen
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- 2016 – Present – South Asian Bar Association of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- 2015 – Present – UBC Arts Tri-Mentoring Program, Vancouver, BC
- 2012 – 2015 – Junior Achievement of British Columbia “Economics for Success Program”, Victoria/Vancouver, BC
- 2013 and 2014 – UVic Law Students’ Society Awards Committee, Victoria, BC
- 2012 – 2014 – University of Victoria Legal Information Clinic, Victoria, BC
- 2009 – 2010 – Vancouver Olympics Volunteer
- Punjabi, Hindi