BC AND CALGARY HIGH NET WORTH DIVORCE AND SEPARATION
Vancouver BC and Calgary High net worth divorce and separation disputes require an experienced family lawyer with a proven track record of success. Since founding the firm in 1983, MacLean Law has established a reputation for handling the most complex and contentious High net worth divorce and separation marriage breakdowns with the utmost discretion. We understand the sensitive nature of difficult family law matters in divorce and separation in British Columbia. Your privacy, public profile, lifestyle and professional standing will be protected. Our goal through the high net worth divorce and separation and BC divorce and separation process is to minimize disruption and allow parties to move forward to successful post separation lives ensuring fair and equitable distribution of family property and excluded property allocations. To prevent problematic high net worth divorce and separation problems, you should strongly consider prenuptial, cohabitation and marriage agreements to ensure BC Wealth & Asset Protection.
Start your shared life with a solid and mutual understanding.
SECURING YOUR FUTURE WHILE PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY IN HIGH NET WORTH DIVORCE AND SEPARATION
When couples have complex personal and commercial financial portfolios including property, business interests, stock options, retirement accounts, pensions, executive bonus packages, books of business, and active and passive asset depreciation, it’s vital to ensure an accurate valuation of family property and debts both at the start and end of the relationship. In addition to marriage agreements, divorce/separation and property division, our services include finding the right jointly-appointed financial experts which may include real estate appraisers, business valuators, art appraisers and forensic accountants. Lorne MacLean, QC leads our high net worth family dispute team and he contributes to Business in Vancouver with articles on issues facing spouses going through high net worth divorce and separation.
Key Considerations in high net worth divorce and separation cases requiring sage legal advice are:
- Thorough opening and closing inventory and valuation of family assets and family property;
- Excluded property calculations and tracing of excluded property and family assets;
- International family property division issues;
- Estate freezes, family trusts, corporate rollovers, butterfly transactions, impact on valuation of different share classes;
- Income taxes, capital gains taxes, RRSP’s and corporate tax implications related to valuation and division;
- Valuation of business entities, professional practices, partnerships, or other interests;
- Retirement as it affects the payment of spousal and child support;
- Valuation of pensions and retirement or executive compensation packages;
- Analysis of trust funds and beneficial interests and valuations;
- Division of family debts;
- The impact of remarriage on spousal support;
- The need for consideration of inheritance planning for children on remarriage;
- Exceptions to child and spousal support for high income earners;
- Self sufficiency objectives for partners leaving long marriages or relationships;
- How excluded property including pre-relationship property, gift and inheritances are affected by joint registration or ownership of same;
- Premarital and cohabitation agreement drafting and negotiation.
DISCRETE NEGOTIATIONS ARE KEY IN HIGH NET WORTH DIVORCE AND SEPARATION
Mediation, Arbitration and collaborative separation processes are viable alternatives to high net worth divorce and separation litigation. These processes focuses on obtaining a timely and fair resolution while keeping personal divorce details out of the courts and the media. Ensure your family business, professional practice and ventures continue to prosper without interference of divorce and court proceedings. We encourage clients to be involved in these processes to make solid, long-term decisions, maximize privacy and minimize costs.
WEALTH & ASSET PROTECTION BEFORE A NEW RELATIONSHIP
Once a high net worth divorce and separation is finalized, parties may decide to move on to new relationships. If you desire Wealth & Asset Protection then The best way to protect your assets is to enter into a prenuptial agreement before a marriage or marriage like relationship. Marriage agreements, or “prenups,” are legal agreements that establish which property and assets belong to each partner before a marriage and how property and assets are to be divided in case of divorce.
Minimize disruption and protect your assets with a prenuptial agreement.
HIGH NET WORTH DIVORCE AND SEPARATION – NEXT STEPS
Couples with substantial financial assets and high net worth facing divorce require an experienced Vancouver family lawyer, strategist, negotiator and litigator to protect their financial interests. The BC family law divorce and separtion lawyers at MacLean Law can help you navigate complex issues including spousal support, child support and property division disputes. For a good support law summary for those going through grey divorce by leading High net worth divorce & separation lawyer Lorne N Maclean, QC click here.
Call us today at 1 877 602 9900 to book a private consultation meeting on your high net worth divorce and separation with Lorne MacLean, Nicholas Davies or Audra Bayer. Call us to discuss our exclusive wealth management marriage and divorce services.