“I have thought it my duty to exhibit things as they are, not as they ought to be.” – Alexander Hamilton
Jesse Emmond joined MacLean Law as an associate in July 2021. His experience includes property division cases, child access and custody disputes, drafting marriage and separation agreements and preparing and representing his clients at mediation. His top priorities include clear communication, discretion and compassion, and he believes a trusting relationship with his clients is key to a successful family practice.
Family issues invariably lead to a storm of uncertainty and shift in lifestyle. Jesse makes a point of listening to his clients and providing clear navigation through the family legal system from the outset. He works hard to find practical and lasting solutions for his clients, and provides services from either a litigation approach or collaboration depending on the specific circumstances of each case.
Prior to joining MacLean Family Law, Jesse articled at a large law firm in Kelowna, British Columbia and joined a boutique litigation firm in Kelowna where he developed his practice in family and civil litigation. During this time he also worked alongside a former BC Supreme Court judge and the BC Attorney General’s Office to develop and implement the Kelowna Integrated Court, which opened in Kelowna in May 2021.
Jesse has appeared as counsel at all levels of court in British Columbia and various administrative tribunals. He maintains an interest in legal reform projects and is an advocate for resolving family issues through dispute resolution forums where practicable.
In his spare time, Jesse enjoys getting outdoors, playing sports, and keeping up with developments in the entertainment industry. He also enjoys critiquing legally inaccurate movies.
- 2017: Juris Doctor, University of Ottawa, ON
- 2013: Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, BC
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
awards and press
- 2016: Public Interest Fellowship – University of Ottawa Faculty of Law
- 2009: President’s Entrance Scholarship – University of British Columbia
- 2009: Owen L. Jones Memorial Award
- 2007: President’s Entrance Scholarship – Okanagan College
- 2007: Dogwood District Scholarship
- 2021: Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2020-2021: Lawyer, Gordon & Company, Kelowna, BC
- 2018-2019: Articled Student, Pushor Mitchell LLP, Kelowna, BC