Family law can be emotional. The reward is that I can help people through their experience.
A background in philosophy and English literature may seem at odds with a law practice. On the contrary, Jonathan Wai uses his unyielding search for truth and his appreciation of art to serve his clients. Indeed, Jonathan’s philosophy is that family law requires that rare mix of courage when advocating in court, as well as compassion to the people he serves.
An experienced litigator and qualified family law mediator, Jonathan Wai employs a wide range of options and methods to achieve his clients’ goals, whether through trial and appeal if necessary, favourable settlement, or through mediation or collaborative law. In all cases, Jonathan endeavours to connect with the client as a person, to thus better understand and create excellent results that are both tailored and cost-effective.
When not practicing law, Jonathan enjoys playing guitar, piano and bass including at local open mics and other venues. He finds time for many movies and novels, and has produced a short film and is working on a novel of his own. He is also an avid player of Canada’s national sport, and can also be found on the public tennis courts.
- McClaughry v. McClaughry, 2016 BCCA 101, Jonathan Wai successfully appealed decision terminating spousal support.
- Zhang v. Sun, 2014 BCSC 2000, and 2016 BCSC 1418 as co-counsel
- Chen v. Ho, 2013 BCSC 533 as co-counsel
- 2002: LLB, University of British Columbia, BC
- 1999: Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, BC
- 2016: Accredited Family Law Mediator
- 2003: Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- 2017: Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2011–2017: Associate lawyer, Wallace M. Wong & Co., Richmond, BC
- 2009: Ash O’Donnell Hibbert, Richmond, BC
- 2007–2009: Chiu & Company, Vancouver, BC
- 2002–2007: Articled Student and Lawyer, Wong & Tsang, Richmond, BC
- 2018: CLE Fundamentals of Family Law Mediation
- 2017: CLE Fundamentals of Mediation (Civil)
- 2016: CLE Family Violence Screening Training
- 2016: CLE Advanced Family Mediation: Dealing with Difficult Issues
- 2015: CLE Advanced Family Law Mediation: Deepening the Mediator Mindset
- 2014: CLE Family Law Mediation II
- 2013: CLE Family Law Mediation I
- 2012: CLE Collaborative Family Law
I hired Jonathan Wai for a high conflict situation. He explained the process and told me to leave it in his hands. I'll forever be grateful to him for getting my kids back and for resolving my matter quickly. I highly recommend Jonathan and MacLean Family Law to anyone going through a divorce and custody situation.
Interim Distribution Complex Family Financial DisputesInterim Distribution Complex Family Financial Disputes require lawyers with a proven track record of obtaining the highest interim distributions to level the playing field in high net worth divorce disputes. MacLean Law lawyers ...
Preventing Dissipation of Calgary Family PropertyPreventing Dissipation of Calgary Family Property is a key step taken in Calgary family property cases. Senior MacLean Law family lawyer Peter Graburn sets out how you can protect yourself. Calling one of ...
Interim Family Property DistributionMacLean law holds the record for largest Interim Family Property Distribution at $400,000 for a single advance followed by another $400,000. What is Interim Family Property Distribution and why should you care? These ...
West Vancouver, BC V7T 1A2