“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak.
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”
– Winston Churchill
Sophie Bartholomew is a lawyer at the Vancouver office of MacLean law. She worked as a qualified Family Lawyer in Oxford, England, before moving to Vancouver and joining the MacLean Law team in July 2017 to re-qualify in British Columbia. As such, Sophie is a dual-qualified, dedicated, resourceful thinker, with a diverse legal education and experience.
Family law often touches on every aspect of peoples lives; not only can it relate to your relationship with your spouse, but also your children, your home and your business. As a result of Sophie’s experience, she engages an organized and personalized approach to her practice to ensure that your legal needs are met with efficiency and pragmatism. Endeavouring to combine a human approach to family law with the skill and dedication to resolve your legal issues; Sophie advocates unwaveringly for your best interests whilst supporting you through the legal process with care and attention.
In light of her background and experience, Sophie has honed written and oral skills to resolve a range of family law matters including; divorce, separation, pre-nuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements, division of property (to include complex multi-jurisdictional and business assets), spousal support, child support and parenting matters. She has appeared in both the B.C. Supreme Court and the B.C. Provincial Court regarding family law matters. She has also represented clients in mediations and negotiations, in order to achieve the best possible outcome in every individual case.
By way of background, Sophie Bartholomew completed the International Baccalaureate in the UK, and then attended The University of Manchester for her undergraduate law degree and University College London for her masters degree in international law.
Sophie’s passion for human rights resulted in an Internship at the Women Human Rights and Gender Section of the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland. This focused Sophie’s people focused legal passion and written and oral communication skills as she engaged in speech writing for the High Commissioner for Human Rights and organized sessions of the Human Rights Council. Sophie has channeled her passion for human rights into focusing on being a strong advocate for clients in Family Law and supporting them through what can often be challenging personal experiences.
Sophie was also competitively selected by University College London to compete in the coveted “LawWithoutWalls” program where she worked with students from Harvard and New York Law School to present a business proposal in Miami before venture capitalists. This introduced Sophie to the corporate and financial aspects of running a business, which has formed the basis for her more detailed understanding of business entities in family law.
When Sophie is not focusing on her clients, she enjoys playing sports and performing hip-hop dance. Sophie has enjoyed the dedication and attention to detail required to excel in these hobbies and finds that these same skills are integral in continually striving to be an exceptional lawyer for her clients.
- 2018 Canadian National Committee of Accreditation
- 2016 LPC, University of Law, London, UK
- 2012 Master of Laws (LLM) – International Law Specialism, University College London, UK
- 2011 Law LLB (Honours) – The University of Manchester, UK
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- BPP Law School Certificate in Commercial Awareness
- Present: Lawyer, MacLean Family Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2018: Articled Student, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2016: Hedges Law, Solicitor, Oxford, UK
- 2013 – 2016: The Head Partnership Solicitors LLP, Trainee Solicitor, Reading, UK
- 2014: Peter Grant and Associates, Aboriginal Law Paralegal, Vancouver, BC
- 2012: UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), Intern, Geneva, Switzerland
- 2010: Shearn Delamore & Co, Work Placement, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Pro-Bono Legal Advice at the East Manchester Project (UK)
- Former Committee Member of Resolution, Oxford (UK)
Additional languagesConversational French
Excellent people and an excellent law firm. Hands down the best family law firm in town.