My favorite saying is a Chinese Proverb 千里之行，始於足下, which literally means a thousand mile journey begins with one step.
Susanna Chen’s legal philosophy is guided by resolving family law cases in the most efficient and sensible manner for conflict resolution; that is accomplished when you have an appreciation for each client’s unique circumstances. Her guiding Chinese proverb figuratively means big accomplishments come from an accumulation of little achievements. Family law can have great outcomes from the incremental milestones in moving people through divorce. To achieve this Susanna helps her clients take an open-minded, pragmatic approach to their circumstances.
Having been born in Taiwan but raised in Vancouver, Susanna Chen is familiar with Chinese cultural values. This is beneficial in helping Chinese families navigate the Canadian family legal system but with an understanding of the customs that need to be considered in helping families through the process.
As an outdoors enthusiast, you’ll find Susanna exploring all that the West Coast has to offer from rollerblading the seawall in Stanley Park, to hiking the trails of the North Shore Mountains in Vancouver. Susanna tells us, “Finding a trail that ends in a picturesque view is one of my favourite moments. Our country is so beautiful and the great outdoors offers us all the opportunity to put our problems into perspective and reflect without daily interruptions.”
- 2015: Juris Doctorate, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- 2012: Bachelor of Arts, English, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Present: Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2016: Articled Student, Wallace M. Wong & Co., Richmond, BC
- 2015: Clinical Student, Legal Aid Alberta, Family Law Office, Edmonton, AB
- 2012 – 2015: Treasurer & Executive Member, Women’s Law Forum, Edmonton, AB
- 2013 – 2014: Civil Claims Duty Counsel Student Volunteer, Pro Bono Students, Edmonton, AB
- 2012 – 2013: Civil/Family Project Volunteer, Student Legal Services, Edmonton, AB
- 2012 – 2013: Do-Your-Own-Divorce Clinic Volunteer, Student Legal Services, Edmonton, AB
Had an extremely positive experience with Susanna Chen and Sunny Chiu. They provided me with professional guidance and excellent service, above and beyond expectations.