"My favourite saying is a Chinese Proverb 千里之行，始於足下, which literally means a thousand mile journey begins with one step."
Susanna Chen’s legal philosophy is guided by resolving family law cases in the most efficient and sensible manner for conflict resolution; that is accomplished when you have an appreciation for each client’s unique circumstances. Her guiding Chinese proverb figuratively means big accomplishments come from an accumulation of little achievements.
Family law can have great outcomes from the incremental milestones in moving people through divorce. To achieve this Susanna helps her clients take an open-minded, pragmatic approach to their circumstances.
Born in Taiwan but raised in Vancouver, Susanna Chen is familiar with Chinese cultural values. This is beneficial in helping Chinese families navigate the Canadian family legal system with an understanding of the customs that need to be considered in helping families through the process.
As an outdoors enthusiast, you’ll find Susanna exploring all that the West Coast has to offer from rollerblading the seawall in Stanley Park, to hiking the trails of the North Shore Mountains in Vancouver.
Susanna tells us, “Finding a trail that ends in a picturesque view is one of my favourite moments. Our country is so beautiful and the great outdoors offers us all the opportunity to put our problems into perspective and reflect without daily interruptions.”
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY
- 2012 – 2015: Treasurer & Executive Member, Women’s Law Forum, Edmonton, AB
- 2013 – 2014: Civil Claims Duty Counsel Student Volunteer, Pro Bono Students, Edmonton, AB
- 2012 – 2013: Civil/Family Project Volunteer, Student Legal Services, Edmonton, AB
- 2012 – 2013: Do-Your-Own-Divorce Clinic Volunteer, Student Legal Services, Edmonton, AB
- 2015: Juris Doctorate, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- 2012: Bachelor of Arts, English, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Present: Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2016: Articled Student, Wallace M. Wong & Co., Richmond, BC
- 2015: Clinical Student, Legal Aid Alberta, Family Law Office, Edmonton, AB
Additional languagesMandarin, Taiwanese
Had an extremely positive experience with Susanna Chen. She provided me with professional guidance and excellent service, above and beyond expectations.
Interim Distribution Complex Family Financial DisputesInterim Distribution Complex Family Financial Disputes require lawyers with a proven track record of obtaining the highest interim distributions to level the playing field in high net worth divorce disputes. MacLean Law lawyers ...
Preventing Dissipation of Calgary Family PropertyPreventing Dissipation of Calgary Family Property is a key step taken in Calgary family property cases. Senior MacLean Law family lawyer Peter Graburn sets out how you can protect yourself. Calling one of ...
Interim Family Property DistributionMacLean law holds the record for largest Interim Family Property Distribution at $400,000 for a single advance followed by another $400,000. What is Interim Family Property Distribution and why should you care? These ...
West Vancouver, BC V7T 1A2