JONATHAN M. WAI
Jonathan graduated UBC with a double major in English Literature and Philosophy in 1999, and was the recipient of the Outstanding Student Initiative scholarship. He graduated UBC Law in 2002 and was called to the bar in 2003.
Jonathan has practiced primarily family law and civil litigation. He has represented clients in all levels of court in BC, as well as various administrative tribunals.
In addition to his extensive litigation experience, Jonathan has been trained in collaborative family law and is a qualified family law mediator.
He is an avid musician and plays the guitar, bass, and piano. You might see him at the Backstage Lounge on Granville Island or in the local Jazz festivals. Jonathan is also working on a novel and when he has any other spare time he enjoys recreational ice/roller hockey and tennis.
- 2002 LLB, University of British Columbia, BC
- 1999 Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, BC
- 2016 Accredited Family Law Mediator
- 2003 Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- 2017 Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2011 – 2017 Associate lawyer, Wallace M. Wong & Co., Richmond, BC
- 2009 Ash O’Donnell Hibbert, Richmond, BC
- 2007 – 2009 Chiu & Company, Vancouver, BC
- 2002 – 2007 Articled Student, Wong & Tsang, Richmond, BC
- 2016 CLE Family Violence Screening Training
- 2016 CLE Advanced Family Mediation: Dealing with Difficult Issues
- 2015 CLE Advanced Family Law Mediation: Deepening the Mediator Mindset
- 2014 CLE Family Law Mediation II
- 2013 CLE Family Law Mediation I
- 2012 CLE Collaborative Family Law
- 2010 CLE Time Mastery for Lawyers
- 2010 Shergill & Company, In-house discussions on SCCR and SCFR
- 2009 Chiu & Company, In-house presentation of CLE Pension Division
- 2008 CLE Pension Division Fundamentals for Family Lawyers
- 2007 Inns of Court program, Vancouver Bar Association
- 2007 CLE Family Law Conference
- 2006 CLE Family Law Advanced Financial Issues
- 2006 CLE Advocacy Workshop
- McClaughry v. McClaughry, 2016 BCCA 101, successfully appealed decision terminating spousal support.
- Zhang v. Sun 2014 BCSC 2000, and 2016 BCSC 1418 as co-counsel
- Chen v. Ho 2013 BCSC 533 as co-counsel