"I try to explain obscure legal concepts to clients in an intuitive way to enable them to make fully informed decisions. My compassion for my clients drives me to work hard for each person."
Jian Kang practises family law in MacLean Law’s Vancouver office. In an effort to help bridge the information gap between members of the public and the legal community, Jian always strives to ensure clients feel comfortable and safe when seeking family law resolutions.
Jian brings a philosophy to his work in law that is reflected in the words of wisdom by Lao Tzu, “Simplicity, patience, compassion are one’s greatest treasures.” Jian is a true left brain-right brain individual, combining his creative empathetic nature with his ability to logically see the legal chessboard. This makes him a perfect lawyer for family law.
Educating clients about legal options such as arbitration, mediation, and litigation is critically important in family law, and Jian’s past teaching experience allows him to help each client make fully-informed decisions and strategize for optimal outcomes, whether that’s related to separation, divorce, child support, spousal support or parenting arrangements.
Jian’s education started on the science and math path, where he completed a Bachelor and a Master of Science Degree at the University of Victoria. He began teaching math, and soon became interested in designing a math concepts book that engaged young students with pop culture. Jian is in the process of completing Mathelantis, a fantasy fiction with original illustrations that integrates BC math curricula into an adventure full of enchanted creatures and epic battles.
Jian Kang decided to pursue a career in law and completed his Juris Doctor at the UBC Faculty of Law. He worked at the UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic, providing free legal advice to low-income aboriginal people. He has worked with family law and personal injury files.
Outside of law and math, Jian’s love of creativity includes painting, sketching and creative writing. His varied talents and compassion make him a sought-after Vancouver family lawyer. Jian is fluent in Mandarin. Jian frequently shares his insights in family law in feature interviews across mainstream Chinese platforms such as TV, radio and newspapers, all of which are well received.
- 2015: Juris Doctor, University of British Columbia
- 2010: Master of Science, University of Victoria Received National Science and Engineering Research Grant Completed Master’s thesis independently and published internationally
- 2007: Bachelor of Science, University of Victoria
- 2016: British Columbia Bar
- 2016: Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver BC
- 2015: Articled Student, MacLean Law, Vancouver BC
- 2015: Articled Student, Feller & Associates, Vancouver BC
- 2015: Articled Student, UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic
- 2014: Research Assistant, UBC Faculty of Law
- 2010 – 2014: Founder, Kang’s Math Studio
- 2008 – 2010: Co-op Software Engineer, Ericsson Canada