I’m not out to take deals for my clients. I’m out to create deals so that we can resolve your legal matter favourably and keep legal costs down. It is the meticulous and exhaustive preparation of your family matter that, in most cases, allows us to avoid trial altogether.
Tal Wolf is a senior member of MacLean Law’s Vancouver office. He takes pride in developing a close and compassionate relationship with each of his clients, and understanding that there is a huge emotional side to family disputes, divorce, and litigation in general, which can be some of the most difficult and stressful events in people’s lives. Tal works with each client to develop strategies that take into account the manner in which the client’s involvement with the legal system affects their life, and their loved ones. He orients his practice around a relatively small and select group of clientele, allowing him to provide each individual first rate representation and personal attention. Clients have often expressed how comforting it is that Tal is personable, accessible and easy to talk to. You are never just “another file number.”
An experienced trial lawyer, and also having served in over 500 sessions as a Judge Pro Tem in Los Angeles County Courts, Tal Wolf feels right at home in the courtroom, whether facing a judge or a jury. He combines passionate and commanding advocacy with creativity and the meticulous break-down of the facts and evidence to maximize his clients’ chances of success in Court.
However, it is precisely because Tal views each step in a dispute through the lens of trial preparation that the vast majority of his cases end up being resolved with a quality settlement, and without ever needing a trial. In fact, Tal has been accredited by the BC Law Society as a Family Law Mediator. This has allowed him to put his passion for ending contentious legal disputes out of court to work for many separating couples just needing an honest broker to help them communicate properly, to bridge their differences and to reach a smart compromise. In turn, the family ends up saving tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees, and young children are spared being caught in the middle of warring parents.
Tal Wolf is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Trial Lawyers Association of B.C. He participates regularly in intensive courses and workshops on trial advocacy. A common theme at these events, and one which has resonated especially well with Tal’s practice and style has been for lawyers to use their personal experiences and adventures (outside of the law) to help understand a client’s story as “human beings”, and not just as “lawyers”. The result is a much more colorful, meaningful and persuasive presentation of that story in court.
Tal has many other passions that he pursues in his personal time, including riding motorcycles, exploring the beautiful National, State and Provincial Parks of Canada, the U.S. and beyond. He also plays the guitar (although singing tends to occur only in the company of his friends and family). Tal is an avid tennis player and skier.
An aviation-buff, he is a certified Commercial Pilot and Instrument Flight Instructor with thousands of hours logged as Pilot-in-Command in over a dozen piston-powered aircraft. Tal has regularly donated his time and flying skills to charitable organizations such as Angel Flight West, transporting patients and their families in and out of remote towns all over the western continent for specialized “big-city” medical treatment. He also is a certified HPAC Instructor of Paragliding, and a Director of the Grouse Mountain Flying Team.
Tal loves animals. Besides donating time to various local organizations such as Best Friends, NKLA (a no-kill pet rescue and adoption center in Los Angeles) and VOKRA (Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association), he and his family have fostered and found loving forever-homes for dozens of needy animals of all ages, sizes and health conditions over the years.
- 1996: B.A., Jurisprudence, University of California at Berkeley
- 2000: Juris Doctor, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
- 2014: Certificate of Qualification, National Committee on Accreditation, Federal Law Societies of Canada
- Law Society of British Columbia – Family Law Mediator
- Canadian Bar Association Member
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia Member
- 2015: Law Society of British Columbia Member
- 2000: State Bar of California Member
awards and press
- Cum Laude and Academic Honors, all semesters, University of California at Berkeley
- Distinguished Advocate Award, UCLA Moot Court Honors Program
- Best Oral Argument Award, UCLA Moot Court Competition
- AVVO™, Client’s Choice Award (back-to-back years)
- 2015-Present: Senior Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2012-2014: Judge Pro Tem, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- 2014: Senior (Attorney) Editor, Westlaw Next™ Treatise, Thomson Reuters
- 2002-2012: Principal, Trial Lawyer, The Wolf Law Firm, West Los Angeles, CA
- 2006-2012: Principal, Criminal Lawyer, Wolf Felony Defense, West Los Angeles, CA
- 2000-2002: Associate Attorney, Franchise Litigation Group, Jenkens & Gilchrist LLP, Brentwood, CA
- 1999-2000: Federal Judicial Externship, The Honorable Judge Dean D. Pregerson, United States
- District Court (C.D. California), Los Angeles, CA
- Acted as co-presenter with Lorne MacLean at the 2016 Canadian Bar Association BC Family Law Okanagan and ADR Joint Conference
- Former member and frequent contributor to Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Contributor, volunteer and frequent foster-parent for dozens of needy animals rescued by Best Friends Animal Society, NKLA (No-Kill Los Angeles), and VOKRA (Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association)
- 22-year FAA Certified Commercial Pilot and Instrument-Rated Flight Instructor, with thousands of hours logged as pilot-in-command of various piston-powered aircraft
- Frequent speaker and lecturer at Airplane Owner’s and Pilot’s Association (AOPA) safety seminars
- Avid tennis player