WEALTH & ASSET
HIGH NET WORTH DIVORCE & SEPARATION
Since founding the firm in 1983, MacLean Law has established a reputation for handling the most complex and contentious marriage breakdowns with the utmost discretion. We understand the sensitive nature of difficult family law matters in divorce and separation in British Columbia. Your privacy, public profile, lifestyle and professional standing will be protected. Our goal through the BC divorce and separation process is to minimize disruption and allow parties to move forward to successful post separation lives ensuring fair and equitable distribution of family property and excluded property allocations.
SECURING YOUR FUTURE WHILE PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY
When couples have complex personal and commercial financial portfolios including property, business interests, stock options, retirement accounts, pensions, executive bonus packages, books of business, and active and passive asset depreciation, it’s vital to ensure an accurate valuation of family property and debts both at the start and end of the relationship. In addition to marriage agreements, divorce/separation and property division, our services include finding the right jointly-appointed financial experts which may include real estate appraisers, business valuators, art appraisers and forensic accountants.
- Thorough opening and closing inventory and valuation of family assets and family property;
- Excluded property calculations and tracing of excluded property and family assets;
- International family property division issues;
- estate freezes, family trusts, corporate rollovers, butterfly transactions, impact on valuation of different share classes;
- Income taxes, capital gains taxes, RRSP’s and corporate tax implications related to valuation and division;
- Valuation of business entities, professional practices, partnerships, or other interests;
- Retirement as it affects the payment of spousal and child support;
- Valuation of pensions and retirement or executive compensation packages;
- Analysis of trust funds and beneficial interests and valuations;
- Division of family debts;
- The impact of remarriage on spousal support;
- The need for consideration of inheritance planning for children on remarriage;
- Exceptions to child and spousal support for high income earners;
- Self sufficiency objectives for partners leaving long marriages or relationships;
- How excluded property including pre-relationship property, gift and inheritances are affected by joint registration or ownership of same;
- premarital and cohabitation agreement drafting and negotiation.
An alternative to litigation is collaborative divorce. This process focuses on obtaining a timely and fair resolution while keeping personal divorce details out of the courts and the media. Ensure your family business, professional practice and ventures continue to prosper without interference of divorce and court proceedings. We encourage clients to be involved in the process to make solid, long-term decisions, maximize privacy and minimize costs.
ASSET PROTECTION BEFORE A NEW RELATIONSHIP
Once a divorce is finalized, parties may decide to move on to new relationships. The best way to protect your assets is to enter into a prenuptial agreement before a marriage or marriage like relationship. Marriage agreements, or “prenups,” are legal agreements that establish which property and assets belong to each partner before a marriage and how property and assets are to be divided in case of divorce.
Property Division Regime in the BC CourtsIf you are in a shaky marriage or relationship, listen to Lorne MacLean.
Couples with substantial financial assets and high net worth facing divorce require an experienced Vancouver family lawyer, strategist, negotiator and litigator to protect their financial interests. The family law divorce lawyers at MacLean Law can help you navigate complex issues including spousal support, child support and property division disputes.
Call us today at 1 877 602 9900 to book a private consultation meeting with Lorne MacLean, Nicholas Davies or Audra Bayer. Call us to discuss our exclusive wealth management marriage and divorce services.