Who are the Best Vancouver Family Lawyers? We encourage Vancouver family law clients to due thorough due diligence. Lorne MacLean, K.C. (King’s Counsel for top 5% of lawyers in BC) was just named as a top high net worth family lawyer in Business in Vancouver’s BIV BC 500, Recognizing the 500 most influential business leaders in British Columbia. We are the winners of top 3 divorce lawyers in Vancouver, Surrey and Richmond and a host of other awards for top family law firm.
Our firm was also just named as an Awardee of Excellence Finalist For Best Canadian Family Law Firm of the Year for 2023. Our firm has several high net worth family law offices across Canada.
We are proud of our, multi-million dollar property division wins, record costs awards, the fact we won the BC highest spousal and child support awards and more importantly how we help clients and their children move forward after separation.
Our lawyers act throughout BC, in Calgary and in downtown Toronto.
Our firm has set a number of record wins for our ecstatic clients. The ways to objectively determine who the best Vancouver family lawyers include:
- meeting with them in person to see if they empathize with you but recognizing that it makes sense that they are not afraid to challenge you and to give you objective helpful strategies that can make or save you thousands of dollars;
- ensuring they have a robust team of junior lawyers, paralegals, and LAA’s that you can work well with and be a key player on;
- reviewing written court decisions showing a history of precedent-setting family law wins by that lawyer or law firm at all court levels;
- confirming they have won awards as top Canadian and Vancouver family lawyers;
- obtaining professional referrals as well as referrals from satisfied clients;
- reading testimonials from satisfied clients;
- obtaining word of mouth research, particularly when praised by opposing parties who state they wished they hired them instead of their lawyer;
- watching them in action in trial or appeal courts;
- looking at various online rating guides;
- ensuring they handle the highest stakes cases and international family law and divorce disputes;
- making sure they have the intellectual horsepower to help power your case to a successful conclusion;
- seeing if you speak Mandarin, Cantonese, or Punjabi ensuring the law firm has a large and experienced family law team like MacLean Law does that is fluent in your language and familiar with your culture; and
- obtaining referrals from opponents we beat that we are amongst the Best BC family lawyers.
If you want a lawyer with a low hourly rate ( alert – this is an inferior way to approach your critical family law case), we recommend that you ensure that the junior family lawyer has the mentorship of a senior lawyer to supervise them and ensure their hours are spent efficiently on your file. The Best BC family lawyers have experience and the winning skills to help you resolve matters before court as well as in court.
TIP: If a junior lawyer at $200 per hour who has never done a case like yours needs to look up law on your case for 5 hours that costs you $1000, but if the senior lawyer knows the law and has argued similar cases successfully they will often take 1 hour to tell you the law and a winning strategy for $500. Don’t be pennywise but pound foolish.
Client Reviews Matter When They Are Real
2 months agoLorne MacLean KC and his Vancouver office command my sincerest praise and gratitude for providing the expertise required to help me successfully navigate a complex and trying divorce. I was previously working with another firm and quickly getting nowhere. As things began to escalate, it became clear that I needed to level up on my legal team and Lorne came highly recommended. As soon as I reached out to his firm it became clear that I had landed in the right place. In my experience, the value provided by MacLean Law is an amalgamation of the best lawyers combined with the best legal support staff. Lorne gets results because he knows the law extremely well and applies it in an inspired fashion to fairly and diplomatically advocate for his clients needs to their greatest advantage. I learned that having expert paralegals and assistants is also a key consideration in choosing a family lawyer, and Lorne prioritizes this also, making for a more efficient experience for clients, resulting in the best possible outcomes. Lorne’s designation of King’s Counsel is well-deserved, indicative of his superior legal ability and integrity, and should provide further assurance to anyone considering retaining him or another member of his team.
Our founder, Lorne MacLean, QC has also been named as a Top 25 Canadian lawyer by Canadian Lawyer Magazine.
MacLean Family Law is Top Choice Awards Top Vancouver Family Lawyers winner for the last 7 years straight and 9 out of the last 10 years as “Top Vancouver Family Law Firm” for 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and once gain in 2023 with a stellar score of 95/100.
Lorne MacLean, QC one of the Best BC family lawyers has also been named repeatedly for the past several years a Top 3 divorce lawyer for Vancouver, Surrey, and Richmond by threebestrated and the top Vancouver family law firm by Consumers Guide. MacLean and his firm are also named as a top Vancouver BC family lawyer by Top10best.
MacLean Law is named as a leading 2020, 2021 and 2022 BC and Canadian family law firm by our peers as tracked by Doyle’s Guide and is also rated highly by Google, and Yelp. Lorne MacLean, QC has also been voted as one of the leading family lawyers in Canada by 2020-2022 Doyle’s Guide.
Our junior lawyers have also been named as “one’s to watch” by Lexpert.
There are several good family lawyers in Vancouver so do your due diligence when looking to hire the best Vancouver family lawyer.
Record-Setting Family Law Wins Can Matter
1 877 602 9900
Lorne MacLean, QC has routinely set new law in high net worth family cases involving his wins on the “CSG over $150,000 a year exception”, Anton Pillar Orders finding millions of hidden cash, Worldwide Mareva Injunctions involving $50,000,000 of worldwide assets, forensic audits finding millions of hidden income and assets, complex property preservation orders, record multimillion-dollar lump-sum support awards and record special costs awards including a 2019 victory of 100% special costs fixed at over $1,500,000. MacLean also recently obtained a summary trial judgment victory in a high net worth international divorce case involving a “void marriage” which garnered significant public interest and he then won the Appeal.
Lorne MacLean, QC set a record high spousal and child support of over $83,000 a month ( yes monthly!) plus additional rental income orders and fully secured it to ensure prompt payment as well as obtaining a retroactive award of over 1 million dollars, a worldwide MAREVA property freezing order, and a lifetime protection order. His client’s success, in this case, is now used by family lawyers across Canada in high net worth family law cases and is repeatedly cited in family law publications. This decision was followed by a significant trial judgment where the client received roughly 20 million in family property and over $116,000 a month in combined child and spousal support converted into over 5 million lump sum support, over $1,000,000 more retroactive support above the record interim award plus 100% indemnity by way of special costs for litigation misconduct that resulted in a record $1,500,000 costs judgment.
MacLean also has an enviable record in the Supreme Court of Canada on a number of precedent setting cases on child custody, spousal support, property division and extended family disputes with his latest win handed down in October of 2021.
Best* Vancouver Family Lawyers 1 877 602 9900
The great news is that our Vancouver Family Lawyers who are 9-time winners as Vancouver’s top family law firm also work out of offices conveniently located across BC in downtown Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond, Kelowna and Fort St John/ Dawson Creek. Our Calgary family lawyers office is also growing rapidly. Our precedent-setting cases are used to help other family clients get a just result.
These cases include leading Supreme Court of Canada and high court decisions on:
- child custody and the maximum contact principle in Young v Young in the Supreme Court of Canada,
- spousal support,
- precedent-setting awards on special costs in the Supreme Court of Canada and a recent $1.5 million award at 100% indemnity,
- a precedent-setting 100 percent reapportionment of a family home in the Supreme Court of Canada,
- a precedent-setting 75/25 reapportionment of a commercial real estate business in favour of the husband,
- another precedent BC Court of Appeal decision defining a stock broker’s book of business as a family asset with leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada denied,
- a recent BC Supreme Court case awarding of nearly $90,000 per month including rent payments allocated ( yes per month!) combined spousal support and child support award which was increased at the trial to over $115,000 monthly and converted to over $5 million in lump-sum payments,
- Mareva worldwide freezing order, Anton Pillar raid Orders finding millions of missing cash, and
- jailing a lying opposing party for perjury,
- MacLean’s BC Court of Appeal in Xu v Hu 2021 BC CA 2 multi-million dollar win overturned a finding of the trial judge who had found an express trust over a Vancouver multimillion-dollar mansion. MacLean defeated a son-in-law’s claim for $50 million and the son-in-law received zero. The appeal court found that the findings of fact did not establish the certainties of intention and object necessary to establish an express trust. The Supreme Court of Canada upheld MacLean’s win for his delighted client.
- A rare high net worth dismissal of a spusal support claim by a wife against our high income earning husband after a very long marriage couples with him obtaining several hundreds of thousand in retroactive spousal support.
- A media attention grabbing win for an ex -wife against her a husband who assaulted his wife and then fled the country who had a high end spousal support award, huge fines, protection order, arrest warrant and spcial coss as well as substantial property award against him.
Hire A Lawyer Who Has Success On Cases Like Yours 1 877 602 9900
We suggest you hire Vancouver family lawyers with a history of success in your type of family law case. If you are involved in a high net worth divorce, we suggest you hire a senior lawyer who handles these cases daily. Remember not to fall into error by hiring a lawyer simply based on a lower hourly rate. A new lawyer’s rate is lower because they have less experience and are developing their knowledge in the area and they may take more time to perform the work. A senior lawyer is often more effective as a result of their considerable experience and ability to respond on their feet to last-minute developments. Having a team made up of a senior lawyer with a junior lawyer like Fraser MacLean, a top paralegal and a savvy LAA is the best of both worlds, so that work is delegated to a cost-effective team member. In high stakes family, financial disputes and high conflict child custody cases experience counts. Call our Best BC family lawyers today.
When you ask: Who Are The Best* Vancouver Family Lawyers? We suggest you consider MacLean Family Law and meet with us based upon:
- Lorne N. MacLean, QC’s track record of repeated successes at all court levels including the BC Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada
- MacLean’s award as one of the top the 3 divorce lawyers in both Vancouver, Richmond, and Surrey by “Three Best*” and Top 10 lawyers multiple years running
- MacLean being named a leading Canadian lawyer by Doyle’s Guide
- the firm’s 7 times multiple Top Choice Award wins as Top Vancouver Family Law Firm
- MacLean Law’s Google Reviews from satisfied clients
- Lorne MacLean QC’s appointment as a Queen’s Counsel restricted to 5 % of lawyers in BC
- MacLean’s successes in the Supreme Court of Canada on 6 of Canada’s leading child custody and spousal support and family property cases
Lorne MacLean, QC is rated as one of the three best family lawyers in Vancouver, and Richmond as well as in Surrey
Maclean Family Law’s Lawyers handle medium to high net worth financial matters and:
- prenuptial, marriage and cohabitation agreements,
- divorces including high net worth cross border and international divorce cases, RECORD BC WIN $25 million property, $6 million lump sum support, $116,000 monthly support;
- discretionary trust interest cases, estate freezes, and third party trusts,
- separation agreements,
- child custody, parenting time, responsibility and child contact disputes, LEADING CANADIAN CASE
- child support both under and over the age of majority, RECORD CHILD SUPPORT WIN
- spousal support, quantum, duration, and variations, RECORD SPOUSAL SUPPORT WIN
- interim advances of $800,000 before trial RECORD WIN
- division of family property, SCC 100% UNEQUAL DIVISION WIN
- tracing and excluded property disputes,
- protection orders against the person, and
- restraining orders against property.
- Mareva Injunctions LEADING BC DECISION FREEZING OVERSEA ASSETS OF $50 million
- special costs RECORD SPECIAL COSTS WIN of $1.5 MILLION
- jail time for lying party
- highest family law fines of $25,000
Vancouver Family Lawyers 1 877 602 9900
Lorne N MacLean, QC heads our team and focuses his practice on the high net worth complex division of family businesses, ventures, family trust interests, distributive tax and high conflict child custody and parenting time cases. Our firm has had the honour of helping guide Canadians with significant wins in child custody, business venture and spousal support cases in the BC Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada.
The Federal Government recently updated the Child Support Tables and its Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines and its revised user guide has a wealth of free information about how spousal support works.
If you have a difficult family matter and need help negotiating, mediating, arbitrating, or litigating your divorce, separation, child custody, parenting time, child support, spousal support, and family and excluded property case, call our Family Lawyers today toll free at 1-877-602-9900.
Best* Vancouver Divorce Lawyers
In closing, when you have a big family case and you need to know: “Who Are The Best Vancouver Family Lawyers?”, you need to do your research and find a senior lawyer with the passion and intellect to help you succeed. Come meet with Lorne N. MacLean, QC or come to watch him in action in the BC Supreme Court, The Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court of Canada.